June 25, 2008

First posting

Hello to all you kids out there in blogging land. I, Melanie Cohen, have been writing for as long as I can remember. There's something exhilarating about putting a set of words on (in this case, virtual) paper and knowing, "Hey, I created this." It's even more exhilarating when people read about it.
But I have to be honest. My passion, which I discovered during my first week of grad school, is copy editing. I've always been geeky about grammar, crazy about characters and even punctilious about punctuation. But when I began studying at USF St. Petersburg, I discovered the gloriosity (new word that means "more glorious than glorious") that is AP style. It was love at first sight!
Since then, I have become a stickler for style, so much so that I now live my life by it. I had since birth been forced to use serial commas, so the adjustment for me was aesthetically difficult. I still disagree with The Associated Press' vendetta against "s's." However, no one was more overjoyed than myself when the AP decided to hyphenate "editor-in-chief."

I am just starting out, so I am not sure exactly how my blog will be tailored. I may include many or few entries about style and grammar (probably many), and I may write about other stuff. Only time will tell. So I begin my amazing journey to be...dun dun dun...grammatically stylin'!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

m.

when describing a relationship between two things, how do you feel about using the words 'both' and 'and' together in the same sentence?

a.

Melanie said...

I don't think the word "both" is necessary because it is redundant. If, for example, tea is yummy and healthy, using the word "both" doesn't distinguish anything new. You could scrap the word from the sentence without losing the meaning, therefor making the word unnecessary.
By the way, your comment, specifically is a perfect example of redundancy. How would you be able to use the words "both" and "and" TOGETHER in a DIFFERENT sentence?