June 26, 2008

Time for a change

Yesterday evening at approximately 6:30 p.m., I engaged in a life-changing experience: I got a haircut. Not one of those half-inch, unnoticeable trims, but a real haircut. OK, so perhaps this isn't exactly life-changing, but it was big for me. My hair hasn't been shorter than mid-back since I was about 6. I had always resisted such a haircut in the past because of some irrational fear of change. But a couple of weeks ago, I decided that I was getting sick of always twisting my hair in a messy bun because I was too ashamed to let my hair hang free. Besides, the ends were looking pretty shoddy, and I thought that a new 'do would inspire me to spend more time fixing my hair.
In the days before I got my haircut, I envisioned the possibilities of what would happen. Would I cry like a baby? (I didn't think I would, but I've known people who have.) Would my hair be horribly misshapen, forcing me to hide my locks in shame for the next few months? Would I chicken out and decide to stay with a trim?
Thankfully, none of those things happened. My hair stylist, who has been cutting hair for almost as long as I've been alive, did a great job. I was very pleased with the results of my shorter, slightly styled (but still low-maintenance) hair, and it now looks a hundred times healthier.

My point is that change, even if scary, can be a positive and inspiring part of life. I know that a haircut is only a metaphor for a real life-changing experience (getting married, for example), but I think my experience illustrates in a small way that the fear we feel of change can be negated if we only go through with our plans, because a big change can equal big happiness. And happiness can never be overrated.

No comments: