July 08, 2008

Deja vu...again?

Deja vu is when a person experiences something new, but it feels like it has already happened. According to Dictionary.com, it is defined as "the illusion of having previously experienced something actually being encountered for the first time." Merriam-Webster defines it as "a: the illusion of remembering scenes and events when experienced for the first time b: a feeling that one has seen or heard something before." "Deja vu" is also defined as something that is uncomfortably or overly familiar.

You might not think this bears repeating, as the experience of deja vu is extremely common. In fact, I doubt I know anyone who hasn't experienced deja vu. But a refresher course on deja vu is necessary; people commonly misuse the term as a plain-old, easy, happy familiarity. It is fairly usual for someone to refer to deja vu when, for example, he meets someone at the same restaurant a second time.

Because I am notoriously better at explaining by example than by explaining the rules, I will give you a couple of anecdotes to clarify myself.

Correct use of deja vu:
I was really hungry, so I decided to run down to a nearby restaurant to grab some food. Though I'd never been to Casa de Pan, I had an eerie sensation of familiarity when I walked in the door. The hostess who greeted me had a face that I could have sworn I'd seen in the same place, and the restaurant's color schemes triggered a seemingly-forgotten memory of when I last ate here. However, I'd never been to Texas and I knew this couldn't have happened. It was just a case of deja vu!

Incorrect use of deja vu:
At the thought of meeting Josh for our third date, my heart was aflutter. We'd met randomly a few weeks ago while we were in line at Starbucks, and we struck up a conversation over the fact that we'd both brought our own cups and what a shame it was that more people didn't do the same. We decided it would be fun to meet up at Starbucks again, then maybe catch a movie. I arrived at Starbucks, and I saw that he was already inside. When I greeted him, I was so nervous that I stupidly blurted out, "Hey, it must be deja vu!"

Moral of the story
As you can see, the misuse of such a popular term is clearly a serious matter. But that is why I am here; even though it isn't possible, I still strive to achieve perfection in this crazy world of lingual and grammatical ineptness.


One more thing...was the movie "Deja Vu" really correctly using that term? I tend to think not.

No comments: