July 06, 2008

While/though...

Though I know I am practically a genius when it comes my knowledge of spelling, grammar and the like, I must admit that I do not know everything. But when I do learn something new about the English language, I like to share it with others so they don't make the mistake of using a word the wrong way. I don't know if everyone has this experience, but when I learn the correct way to use a word, I tend to noticed it being used incorrectly all over the place. One of my biggest pet peeves revolves around the word "sherbet," though I'll save that for a dessert-themed entry (yum!).

I've always been a lot better at knowing what is correct/incorrect than knowing how to explain why. I tend not to know all the correct terms, but I know what and when words should be used. So if my explanations are ever a bit clumsy, I apologize. That's one reason I am not a teacher. ;)

Lately, I've been noticing a lot of "whiles" where there should be "thoughs," even in otherwise well-written books. (I am currently reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein, an inspiring and adorable tale narrated by a dog. I would highly recommend it for anyone who is interested in reading something thoughtful, yet not too difficult on the brain.) To explain the difference between "though" and "while," here is the entry I used in the style guide I wrote for The Crow's Nest, USF St. Petersburg's student newspaper (I used the words "although" and "though" interchangeably because they are pretty much the same word, though I should probably have separated them.):


although, while – “Although” means “even though” or “assuming that.” “While” notes
passage of time.
(Right: Though Melanie couldn’t run a six-minute mile, she still felt like a runner.
Wrong: While Melanie couldn’t run a six-minute mile, she still felt like a runner.)

That isn't really too difficult to follow, is it? Here's an example of how to use "while" in the correct sense:

While Melanie was preparing tomorrow's lunch, she called Sandi to wish her a happy birthday.

The above sentence shows a time frame, whereas "though" often indicates a conflict.


There are many more grammatical instances that are subject to frequent mistakes, such as "that/which," "over/more than" than and "since/because." I most often see "over/more than" used the wrong way; people often use the word "over" when they mean more. "Over" should indicate direction, and "more than" should indicate number. (For example, "Melanie spent more than $5 st Starbucks yesterday" indicates a number.")


Some people might scoff at the attention people pay to such specific rules. Obviously, I am not one of those people. If you don't have a set of standards that at least some people are willing to uphold, language will eventually deteriorate until it's incomprehensible.

No comments: