July 20, 2008

Down Home With the "Neely's"

A few pros about digital cable with DVR:
*No more snowy pictures and meter-length antennae
*Ability to record more than one program at a time
*Exposure to a variety of different media outlets

A few about digital cable with DVR:
*It costs money
*It wastes time one might otherwise use productively
*It encourages laziness

Since I got digital cable with DVR about a month ago, I've been wasting more time than ever lounging in front of the tube, where there is a multitude of media from which to choose. Yesterday, I was engaging in one of my TV marathons (in which I engage more often than I care to admit) when I turned to the Food Network, which never fails to pique my interest. I began watching "Down Home With the Neelys," a cooking show hosted by a husband-and-wife pair who cook barbecue and other southern-style fare, and who also own a chain of barbecue joints. Yesterday's menu of choice was spaghetti with turkey meatballs (which looked tasty despite my vegetarian lifestyle), grilled Casear salad, garlic bread and a liqueur-infused dessert.

Imagine my surprised when the show returned from commercial to begin a segment with, "The Neely's Spaghetti With Turkey Meatballs" (or some such title). THE NEELY'S? Didn't the video guy for that show realize it was breaking the rules of Possessives 101? For one, the show's title is "Down Home With the Neelys," not "Down Home With Neely."

Just to spell it out clearly, plural possessives should end with apostrophes. In my AP-style world, this means that I do not add a second "s" following the apostrophe. Hence, whoever titled that segment *should have* said, "The Neelys' Spaghetti With Turkey Meatballs."

I would like to hope that this was a typo rather than a grammatical mistake, but one never can tell. This isn't the first time I've seen bad grammar on TV-segment titles.

No comments: